Serving Los Alamos Since 1946
The Los Alamos Valley Men’s Club (LAVMC) is a philanthropic §501(c)(3) nonprofit group of men and women dedicated to providing scholarships and funding to local students, and supporting Los Alamos youth and families.
Bringing the community together to support Los Alamos youth and families since 1946.
The spacious clubhouse, located at 429 Leslie Street, is available for rent for private events. The Club is supported by tax-deductible donations from individuals, families, and businesses. It also sponsors events, including the
Los Alamos Old Days Celebration on the last weekend of September, as well as other fundraisers throughout the year.
2023 Board Members: President, Kristy Williams; Vice President, Ray Williams; Treasurer, Anita Withers; Bar Manager, Zach Perron; Secretary, Kylin Bray; Building Steward, Shirley Williams; Directors: Jim McCullar, Raymond Williams, and Pete Kopcrak.
Website: Gina Sterling
Newsletter: Kasi Maguire
Meet The Board
Late in the Summer of 1946, it was decided (as a result of informal discussions around the Post Office), that the area needed an organization to further community interests. A few days later, cards signed by Bill Drum, George Michalopoulos and John Bastenchury were sent to local residents inviting them to a meeting to see whether such an organization would meet with their favor. Meetings were held at the D&M Cafe (previously the Steel Horse Saloon; now Bell's), and plans for the formation of the Los Alamos Valley Men's Club were approved.
On October 26, 1946, with 88 charter members enrolled, the following regular officers were elected: W.F. Luton, President; Bill Drum, Vice President; Joe Aguirre, Secretary; George Michalopoulos, Treasurer, Charles Teague, Chaplain; Nicholas Moulton, Steward; Dale Douglas, Henry Dull and John Bastenchury, Trustees. A constitution was drawn up dedicating the organization to civic betterment, local recognition, closer cooperation with neighboring communities, and the promotion of social and welfare activities for youth and adults.
During the Fall and Winter of 1946-47, regular meetings and occasional social gatherings were held in Nick Moulton's Hall (another former business at the Steelhorse Location; now Bell's), which he generously allowed the new club to use. Soon the members came to realize that a clubhouse would have to be acquired if the organization was to grow and assume its useful position in the community. To this end, many suggestions were made and considered. However, all of these suggestions involved too great a financial burden for the newly-formed club. On January 9, 1947, a plan generously proposed by Angelo Grgich, a charter member, was accepted by the membership. This plan made it possible for the club to acquire two lots and the financial backing for construction of a clubhouse.
Up to this time, Los Alamos Valley Men's Club had been a loosely-knit social and betterment group, with elected officers, but having no legal standing. In order to acquire property and have financial and legal standing, it now became necessary to incorporate the club under the laws of the State of California. Jack Rickard, also a charter member, offered his legal services, and on the 3rd of March 1947, Articles of Incorporation and a new legally-worded set of bylaws embodying the original ideals of the club were filed with the Secretary of State. In due time, the club received its charter as an incorporated non-profit organization.